[ale] cron/crontab Buffer Overrun Vulnerabilities

robbie at tomservo.mindspring.com robbie at tomservo.mindspring.com
Mon Dec 30 13:01:49 EST 1996

In our previous episode, David Hamm was heard to say:

> This was news to me.  It might be of interest to you.
>
> from http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/h-17.shtml
>

> PROBLEM:       Problems have been identified in cron(8) and crontab(1)
>                programs.
> PLATFORM:      All platforms running FreeBSD 1.0, 1.1, 2.1.0, 2.1.5,
> 2.1.6,
>                2.1.6.1 and 2.2.
>                All platforms running RedHat Linux version 4.0.
>                All releases of NetBSD up to and including 1.2.

I think this only affects systems running Paul Vixie's cron.
The Debian distribution has a fix for this, and I'd imagine
that Red Hat does as well.

I don't think this affects Slackware systems, since they use
Dillon's cron.

Robbie

--
Robbie Honerkamp
robbie at mindspring.com
http://www.mindspring.com/~robbie/
 "If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate."