[ale] Object Model on Linux (fwd)

Andy dread at atlcom.net
Wed Dec 25 10:09:15 EST 1996

tomk at westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> R I Feigenblatt writes:
> >
> > Charles Hubbard wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > >Besides the obvious problems with Micro$oft they have NEVER invented anything
> > >that has had a major impact in the computer industry.  Now I'm not talking
> >
> >         Some people never get over the fact that restaurants and
> >         supermarkets don't grow food. Me, I'd rather Microsoft acquire
> >         Vermeer and sell me Frontpage discounted to about $100, (free
> [snip]
>
> My two cents worth 8-)  Whether you like or dislike Microsoft Corp. isn't
> relevant to the conversation. (I can't believe that I'm going to do this)
> Microsoft, for all it's faults, has created a unified interface with their
> version of a window enviroment. Programs written to their specification "work"
> in that enviroment. Microsoft's success rides on the success of the Intel
> based machine created by IBM. If IBM hadn't been so successful, Microsoft
> would not be what they currently are. The SAD note here is that Apple had the
> market sewed up and gave it away to IBM. How so? Apple machines, once upon a
> time, were open to third party manufacturers. So anyone could make
> clones and "addon" cards. Then they decided to close their universe. IBM, in
> their smartest move ever, created an open machine (borrowing the idea from
> Apple, maybe?) and the rest is history. Sad, isn't it!
>
> I've read other messages on the subject and I like the idea of a function
> manager. Grab a icon representing a function. Drag it over to a function that
> you would like to connect to (ie. pipe) and the necessary pipe is created.
> Then, to be able to save the connection with a name (or borrowing an idea from
> win95 have a pull down menu with the connections). Then to run them with a
> click, etc. When all is done, then the pipe drops out. etc.
>
> --
> -= Sent by Debian Linux =-
> Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK
> tomk at westgac3.dragon.com

Has anybody heard of using Open-Doc with Linux or even stealing MS-OLE
from
microsoft. Hell they stole enough from other folks. :).  Being able to
drag a text file and drop it on an editor or WP on the desktop to open
that document is cool. Draging to copy or move a file is cool too. Drag
postscript document and drop it on the Ghostscript icon would launch
that
document in Ghostscript.  When will Linux get this technology?  I guess
Open-DOC would be the desired Platform to adopt but how?

/usr/bin/andy