[ale] Re: Backpack parallel ...

John M. Mills jmills at bismarck.gtri.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 16 14:32:28 EST 1996

Arnold --
I recommend you get some 1st-person advice on installing RH 4.0 from _any_
unusual CD.  I am in the situation where I can build a kernel which supports
my CD drive, but can't figure out how to install my 4.0 distribution because
it insists on using its own kernel which doesn't recognize my drive.  I could
go ahead with any reasonable set of instructions and use my CDROM distribution,
but can't figure out how to do this.

It is my understanding that RH have hard-coded the init procedure in their
'boot.img' to perform the installation, and I don't know how to work around
this.  It seems to be fundamentally different from the approach taken in
3.0.3, which was easy to reconfigure.  It sounds like a minor 'gotcha' but
it's sure got me!  I asked RH support and their suggestions didn't work.
Then, after two weeks of mutual silence, and without any pushing on my part, I
received a close-out message which said, literally and without other comment:
  "Get a real cd drive."

I would find someone who's done what you intend before proceeding here.

Regards --john mills

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
        Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
           "Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics, and Simulations"