[ale] Trivial Breakin to RH-4.0 -- What's happening?

Daniel Newcombe NEWCOMBE at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
Fri Dec 13 09:54:18 EST 1996

> I think you booted the system in single user mode.  This is normal.
> It allows you to access the system as root to fix things that don't
> work in multiuser mode (like when you forget the root password).
> If you don't want to allow this, revise your lilo.conf so as
> to remove the "prompt" entry.  Now your intruder will need a
> disk.  If you don't want to even allow that, get a password
> protected bios.

But this will only disable the automatic prompt.  If you hold down
shift, caps lock or a couple other keys while booting, it will bring
up the prompt.
The password option is the best with LILO.  Of course if someone can
get to the machine, they can probably still get in, even if they have
to disable the CMOS/BIOS password  :)

Dan Newcombe
User Services
newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu