[ale] Frustrated with RedHat 4.0

Zot O'Connor zot at crl.com
Thu Dec 5 19:36:04 EST 1996

Andrew Newton wrote:
> X both say that /dev/mouse (which is linked to /dev/atibm)
> can't be opened.  And in the messages file I say the error,
> "modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-3".

Possibly the PCMCIA manager is interfering with things.  This was true
with my laptop and its PS/2 mouse.  BTW you say "Busmouse" do you mean
it?  Busmice are old critters, PS/2 is not the same as Bus (bus has it
own card).

> I need to add another ethernet
> card and define it, but that's hard to do under RedHat without
> the control-panel.
> But under RedHat they're considerably much more painful to
> understand and modify.

Except for adding the second card, they are easy.

/etc/rc.d/init.d is where the files are
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d is the directory of links for starting and stopping
Level 3 programs (normal run level for RedHat).	 Thus S10network is
called then S30syslog.  S10network points to ../rc3.d/S10network.

Now reading that takes a bit work

. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions is the bulk of the script functions, keep
ypur eye on this file.

. /etc/sysconfig/network is where the work is done

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is where you need to edit

but for now look at:
                for i in ifcfg-eth?; do
                    if [ -e $i ]; then
                        ./ifup-eth $i boot
                    fi
                done

For every file ifcfg-eth? (eth0, eth1, etc.) run ifup-eth
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
#!/bin/sh

#>>>Device type: ethernet

#>>>Variable declarations:
DEVICE=eth0
#IPADDR=192.168.200.73
IPADDR=206.29.195.17
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
#NETWORK=192.168.200.0
NETWORK=206.29.195.16
#BROADCAST=192.168.200.255
BROADCAST=206.29.195.255
GATEWAY=none
ONBOOT=yes
#>>>End variable declarations

So you need to build an ifcfg-eth1

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth:
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
. $1 ###this loads the variables for eth0, eth1, etc.
if [ "foo$2" = "fooboot" -a ${ONBOOT} = "no" ]
then
        exit
fi
ifconfig ${DEVICE} ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
#route add ${IPADDR}
route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK}
if [ "${GATEWAY}" != "" -a "${GATEWAY}" != "none" ]
then
        route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
fi

--------------
Now I had to edit this logic on a couple of client machiens, but now you
see where to affect.

Now is this more complicated?  Yes.  IS it better?  Yes.  Why?  You
weant to start or stop services (like in NT) you merely call
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop|start

Same for httpd.init, named.init and the others, very usueful for setting
up, and for cron jobs.

Take a bit to get used to, though I've been told other unixes are moving
that way.

> 3) I can't get at my SCSI CD-ROM after installation.  I
> installed from it, and the installation is booting off of my
> SCSI harddrive on the same adapter.  But for some reason
> mount complains about /dev/sdc.  My CD-ROM is LUN 3, so I
> believe this to be correct.  What am I doing wrong here?

LUN 3?  or ID 3?  Lun is a subset of ID.  You mean its the third
device?  Look at dmesg (or /var/log/messages)  When the scsi driver
scans, it reports the found drives.  You did use a kernel with cdrom
compiled in, didn't you?

scsi0 <fdomain>: BIOS version 2.0 at 0xca000 using scsi id 6
scsi0 <fdomain>: TMC-1800 chip at 0x140 irq 15
scsi0 : Future Domain TMC-16x0 SCSI driver, version 5.28
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: IBM       Model: 0661371           Rev: H i
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: IBM       Model: 0661371           Rev: H i
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi0, id 1, lun 0
scsi : detected 2 SCSI disks total.
SCSI Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sda
SCSI Hardware sector size is 512 bytes on device sdb

Zot O'Connor                                  zot at crl.com
Home Page:                                    http://www.crl.com/~zot/
Improv Page:
http://www.crl.com/~zot/improv.html