[ale] Frustrated with RedHat 4.0

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Thu Dec 5 16:25:35 EST 1996

I'm having a couple of problems with RedHat 4.0 that I was
wondering if someone could help me with:

1) I can't get my mouse to work.  It's a Microsoft Busmouse
on IRQ 5.  As far as I know, nothing else is using that
interupt.  During the boot process, I get the message,
"Logitech bus mouse detected, using IRQ5".  But gpm and
X both say that /dev/mouse (which is linked to /dev/atibm)
can't be opened.  And in the messages file I say the error,
"modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-3".  The funny
thing is I got this working on another machine.

2) Isnt' that control-panel just dandy?  Well it isn't if
you can't (or don't) run X.  I need to add another ethernet
card and define it, but that's hard to do under RedHat without
the control-panel.  Is there a form of this utility for
text mode?  Under Slackware, configuring things like this
were easy to do because the rc scripts were easy to follow.
But under RedHat they're considerably much more painful to
understand and modify.

3) I can't get at my SCSI CD-ROM after installation.  I
installed from it, and the installation is booting off of my
SCSI harddrive on the same adapter.  But for some reason
mount complains about /dev/sdc.  My CD-ROM is LUN 3, so I
believe this to be correct.  What am I doing wrong here?

 Andrew Newton
 Andrew.Newton at automatedlogic.com
 lfs at eskimo.com
 http://www.eskimo.com/~lfs