[ale] Feminist computers (fwd)

dZothMuellarg zot at crl.com
Mon Aug 19 14:48:08 EDT 1996

Subject: Re: Why doesn't the man command work?
 From: sgilbert at texas.net (Scott Gilbert)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc

>I need some help!  I just installed Linux Slakeware and everything went
>great. But when I try to use the MAN command such as:

>man ls

>all I get on the screen is:

>line ?/? (END)

>Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

It appears that you have one of the rare 'feminist computers'.

Typical symptoms are the refusal to run commands such as 'man' ,
'date', 'head', 'tail' , 'touch' and showing a preference for commands
such as 'nice', 'cat', and for the more maternal variations 'cut' and
'paste'.

There is no 'fix' for this condition as it is  not  a problem per se,
but merely a different point of view.

Your best bet is to treat your computer with respect and tolerance.
Over time it may learn to trust you and perhaps even expand its
vocabulary to include some of those words it simply refused to
acknowlege previously.

--
Later,
ZOT                                                        zot at crl.com