[ale] /etc/aliases

Stephen R. Wylie swylie at wylie.com
Wed Aug 14 03:47:17 EDT 1996

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Mir S Islam wrote:

> Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:38:54 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mir S Islam <mir at venus.gsu.edu>
> To: ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject: [ale] /etc/aliases
>
> Hi guys, I have this alias file with a couple of mailing aliases. Like
> webmaster and others. It works fine. But in every few minutes sendmail
> spews out a messages in /var/adm/message saying :
>
> Aug  8 09:15:53 venus sendmail[6503]: /etc/aliases: 1 aliases, longest 3
> bytes,12 bytes total
>

> Is there a way to stop that ? My /etc/alises file looks like this :

kill -9 `cat /usr/run/sendmail.pid`   ???

try that or look into turning off the flag that makes it re-generate your
aliases file. This means that if you modify the file you will have to
manually run sendmail with the rebuild aliases flag on...

If you are wondering, it doesn't hurt a thing...

> alias:	name
>

> Much appreciate your responses.
> --
> Mir S Islam              | "Creativity is the inability to follow the
> Network Administrator    |  rules of others."
> CPUA Support Services    |                     -Cliff Stoll
> Georgia State University |
> mir at gsu.edu              |
> (404)651-4341            |  http://venus.gsu.edu:8008/~mir/bangla

srw
Stephen R. Wylie	swylie at wylie.com
CLICK ME
"They gave me a book of checks.  They didn't ask for any deposits."
     -- Congressman Joe Early (D-Mass)