[ale] ppp question

Derek S. Ray lorimer at alliance.net
Mon Aug 12 15:37:10 EDT 1996

dZothMuellarg mumbled incoherently:

> My guess is one of the twwo ends is sending ppp packets before the
> other end is ready.
>
> Either that or baud rates are off.
>
> Do you get any user name attempts?  Can you set Windows 95 to look for
> a new word?

Interestingly, my Win95 box connected gleefully to my ISP (who, amusingly
enough, is using Linux) via the same PPP connection my Linux box did.  BUT!
Here's the interesting bit... My ISP doesn't use normal prompting for
password, name, etc... and he's got an extra prompt at the beginning.  Not
only didn't I have to do any configuration under Win95 (except enter in my
name and password for the DialUp Networking), I can't even locate an OPTION
under Win95 for "Look for this search string."

This leads me to believe that perhaps Win95 believes in pap or chap
authentication, or at least SOME sort of auto-detection and response...
because there's no way my 95 box is reading the screen and thinking "oh,
here i should type 'ppp' to start the connection!".  Anyone with a little
more 95 experience out there than me want to confirm/deny this?  I'm going
to try to configure chap/pap on my end and see if my Linux box will connect
without a visible 'chat' script active (except for the actual dialing
bit.)... If not, I'm kinda curious as to what sort of autodetection there
IS for PPP connections.  Especially since my ISP's end is a Linux box.  :)

(For that matter, does pap/chap initiate in response to a signal-byte or
the like?)

--
   finger for PGP key -*- lorimer at alliance.net -*- Vote Brain/Pinky in '96!
     Key fingerprint =  D1 6E A2 69 CF 60 C6 90  3D 34 BE 05 87 B8 12 C8