[ale] Problem building kernel with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS

John M. Mills jmills at siberia.gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 8 09:06:32 EDT 1996

Hello --
I have repeatedly built my 1.2.13 kernel, but now I want to build in with
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS set, since RedHat expects that.  My build crashes on
the first file (init/main.*) with an error 'cannot exec as - no such file'
or something close.  I expect I am missing a modules-relate header or
something similar, but haven't looked more closely, yet.

I unpacked modules-1.2.8, and executed the 'vital-patch-*', both chunks of
which succeeded, then for good measure I soft-linked tha directory as
/usr/src/linux/modules (just because I didn't have another live 'modules'
directory).  I haven't built anything from that package yet because the
README says: 'first build your kernel ...'  (like the Eskimo cookbook I
once read which said: 'First, cut up the whale.' _REALLY_).

I have an a.out system and am compiling with gcc 2.3.6 -- can anyone clue
me how to get around this? TIA.

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0853
        Phone contacts: 770.528.3258 (voice), 770.528.7083 (FAX)
           cat comments_regarding_recent_Olympics > /dev/null