[ale] novice growing pains

blackgr at sysconn.com blackgr at sysconn.com
Wed Aug 7 14:51:14 EDT 1996

After three years of banging around with Linux at home, I've finally
gotten a chance to use it at work. I have plugged a Linux machine into
a 25 user standalone ethernet with no connection to the outside.  I
have intentions of setting up a prototype web and mail server, with
hopes that I can convince the uppers to expand into some sort of
intranet.

Apache httpd has been a breeze compared to some of my other problems.
The first of my problems has been with sendmail. I installed the
standard slackware sendmail package. Sending and receiving local mail
from the Linux console has been no problem. Windows 95 machines are
connected to LAN. Initially, I was able to retreive mail remotely with
window mail client but (POP3) when sending mail remotely, the client
refuses to connect. I've tried Weudora, Netscape and MS's mail thingy
all with the same results. SMTP doesn't seem to be working properly.

I tried copying the pre-packaged linux.nodns-smtp.cf over to
/etc/sendmail.cf and now remote mail doesn't work at all. I've been
through all the docs I can get my hands on and none of it is making
much sense at this point.

The other problems is with my windows telnet and ftp clients. I can
ping all day long, but various telnet and ftp clients connect sometimes
and sometimes not. I'm at a loss right now and could sure use some
pointers. Any help would be appreciated.

Glynn Black     blackgr at sysconn.comm     down in Savannah.