[ale] to everyone running Red Hat 3.0.3

Jason Boyles jason at shawinc.com
Tue Aug 6 09:03:54 EDT 1996

 While on the subject of RH 3.0.3 and X . . .

        I'm running 3.0.3 with the MetroX X server, S3 chipset (864) integrated
 on an IBM motherboard. When I exit from the X server with control-alt-BS the
 text screen to which I return is unreadable. It looks like the scan lines are
 in the wrong places, the even ones being shifted toward the top right hand
 corner of the screen and the odd ones shifted toward the lower left. The three
 monitors I have tried (a CTX 20", an IBM 17", and a ViewSonic 17") all behave
 the same way and blank the screen after a second or two of trying to display
 this mess. The Viewsonic flashes up an onscreen message that says "NO SIGNAL".

        The machine remains fully functional. I can blindly restart X and it
 comes up OK, display and all. The only way I can fix the problem is to reboot.

        Is there some utility I can use to re-init the text display mode and
 (hopefully) restore my VGA text mode to sanity?

 Thanks.

 ----
 Jason Boyles <jason at shawinc.com>
 phone  (706) 275-3055