[ale] [Fwd: Re: NCR rel 17 panic]

andy dread at atlcom.net
Sun Apr 28 16:22:54 EDT 1996

--------------45CD23EE2029

this too

--------------45CD23EE2029

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 11:37:06 +0300 (EET DST)
 From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds at cs.Helsinki.FI>
To: Karsten Weiss <karsten at addx.tynet.sub.org>
Cc: ncr53c810 at Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: NCR rel 17 panic

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Karsten Weiss wrote:

> Today I got the following kernel messages (running 1.3.95) while
> extracting an tar.gz file on one of my harddisks:

This looks like the errors that the Linux/alpha world has been plagued
with. There is something wrong with the driver, probably related to
disconnects (that's why it works for you in 1.2.13 - it didn't disconnect
back then).

The simple fix is probably to disable disconnects (which is fine if you
don't use SCSI tapes, but horrible if you do). Drew made some noises
about having a handle on the hardware not doing what the documentation
said it should do, but that was a long time ago and I haven't heard any
more on it since.

I _suspect_ the problem is made worse by long SCSI commands: the new
read-ahead code can result in pretty large reads, and maybe the
disconnect problem gets worse then (disconnecting in the middle of a
read? Can that even happen?). This is just idle speculation, I have no
idea about the driver (but that might explain why we saw it on alpha's
first: they have a larger page-size and are usually faster anyway, so
they might have been more likely to request large SCSI reads even with
the older code).

> Does anyone have an explantion? I've been running my system for a very
> long time now with kernel 1.2.13 and had no problems at all. After
> upgrading to 1.3.9x from some reasons I already got this error
> twice (the first time I was making a system backup to my DAT drive
> when it happened. This was on kernel 1.3.94 I believe).

That does sound like a disconnect thing (the tape access..). Maybe a race
condition in the driver when the disconnect happens at an inopportune time.

Drew, any comments?

		Linus