[ale] good pci scsi card

David Cleveland Haynes gt9900b at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 24 09:10:12 EDT 1996

Joe Novosel wrote:

> Can anyone reccomend a good pci scsi card?
> Hopefully one that won't break the bank.
> I don't have any scsi drives (at this point), but have recently purchased a
> HP scanjet 4p and wish to use it with Linux.
> Right now, I'd go for a cheap isa bus card (real cheap), but since I have
> pci and would like to make future hard drives scsi, now is the time to do it.

	I have been using the Adaptec 2940 for over a 1.5 years now, and
love it. I had trouble getting it to work with Linux in the beginning, but
have little trouble now. All the newer kernels support it, even 1.2.13 (
with a kernel patch ). Off of the card, I run a 1 GB Seagate drive, an el
cheapo SCSI CD-ROM, and a Syquest EZ135 external removable media hard
drive. I have also ran a Zip drive ( thanks to Vern ), and have had no
problems with ANY of these drives.
	The one drawback to this card, however, is that the external SCSI
interface uses a mini-SCSI ( or SCSI-II, I cant' remember ) plug. A cable
for this to my Centronics interface on my EZ drive cost $36. This is a bit
high as far as SCSI cables go.
	Other than that, I have nothing but praises for the card.

					David Haynes