[ale] Networkin and Sendmail

charlie charlie at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 18 14:28:33 EDT 1996

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Steven A. DuChene wrote:

>Are you sure this is not just your Xserver locking up? Do you have another
>way to access your machine besides being on the console? Like dialing in
>through a modem or connecting via the serial port/network? A hung Xserver
>acts a lot like the whole machine being hung but it is still running under
>the hung graphics. Are you still getting drive accesses once in a while
>while it is hung?

well...

   I'm not positive that my X server was hung, but there was no way to tell
if it was or wasn't because it wouldn't let me shut it down.  Besides that's
just an instance of what happens when I try to do something like telnet,
ftp, ping, emacs, sendmail, etc.  I tried doing it at the prompt level and the
same thing happens.  Is there any info that I can provide that might help
rememdy this problem?  Is there a diagnostic or some tests that I could do
to ensure that everything is installed/working correctly.  Telnet, ftp,
netscape, etc (not sendmail) all worked for about three days, but I haven't
the slightest why they won't work now.  I ran the ne2k.c program, and it found
the netcard correctly.

I don't have any remote access to the machine other than the net (which doesn't
work right now), and I wasn't getting any drive access with it hung.

thanks again
charlie

							        Charles Hubbard
	   		 	          Internet: charlie at felix.cc.gatech.edu
We have to believe in our free will: We have no choice in the matter.