[ale] Networkin and Sendmail

Steven A. DuChene sad at sduchene.mindspring.com
Thu Apr 18 08:49:47 EDT 1996

> On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Steven A. Duchene wrote:
>

> >         What kind of error messages do you get when sendmail tries to start?
> > 	Take the time to try and start it by hand so we can help you out.
> > 	Can you telnet to port 25?

Charlie replied:
> No error message is echoed back it just hangs the machine!  I can' ^Z, shutdown
> the machine, goto a virtual terminal.  Nothing!  I tried to use the network
> last night, and I'm back to the same problem with my networking stuff.
> It will hang the machine too.  Telnet hung it in X, and my mouse was just stuck

	Are you sure this is not just your Xserver locking up? Do you have another
	way to access your machine besides being on the console? Like dialing in
	through a modem or connecting via the serial port/network? A hung Xserver
	acts a lot like the whole machine being hung but it is still running under
	the hung graphics. Are you still getting drive accesses once in a while
	while it is hung?

--
Steven A. DuChene       Linux Weenie!    http://www.ysu.edu/~sduchene

		isollae - loneliness in the face of beauty
		    -- Sean Russell, "World Without End"