[ale] mv *.gif

Dan Newcombe newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu
Tue Apr 16 15:13:29 EDT 1996

> > > How do I change the extension on a bunch of files.  I tried mv *.gif =
> > > *.GIF but I get an error message.  I'm sure someone has done this in =
> > > unix.

Personally I use what's at the end.  That way I can use any perl
expression.  For the gif example:
	rename s/gif/GIF/ *.gif

#!/usr/bin/perl

#usage: rename perl_expression [files]

($op=shift) || die "Usage: rename perl_expression [filenames]\n";

if (!@ARGV) {
        @ARGV = <STDIN>;
        chop(@ARGV);
}

for (@ARGV) {
        $was = $_;
        eval $op;
        die $@ if $@;
        rename($was,$_) unless $was eq $_;

--
Dan Newcombe - Clayton State College - User Services - 770-961-3421
newcombe at aa.csc.peachnet.edu  http://www.csc.peachnet.edu/home/dan/