[ale] CD-ROM Problem

Joe DeVille jwdstu at westga.edu
Tue Apr 9 19:56:16 EDT 1996

At 12:07 PM 4/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok, here's the situation, if anyone can help, I'd greatly apreciate it...
>
>I've been running Linux for a while now, with a SoundBlaster 16, and using
>a Panasonic CDROM connected through /dev/sbpcd.  I decided to upgrade my
>CD-ROM to an IDE 4x speed drive.
>
>My system is a 486dx4100, with AMI's Graphical BIOS.  It's got an IDE
>controller with a Primary and Secondary EIDE connector.  I've got 2 Hard Drives
>connected to the Primary connector, and the CD-ROM is connected to the
>Secondary connector.
>
>The problem is that Linux will not acknoledge the CD-ROM.  Win-95 sees it, and
>even likes it.  Linux doesn't even recognize ide1 as a valid device.  I have
>configured the kernel (1.3.8x) for IDE ATAPI, and have turned off SBPCD
>support.
>
>Any help would be appreciated, and I'll answer any questions I might have
>missed.
>
>I'm trying to avoid buying a *NEW* IDE controller, but I will if needed.
>
>Oh, the CD-ROM is a Mitsumi IDE drive, which I've installed the same model in
>another Linux Box, that works perfectly...

I have a similar configuration and had the same problem... I installed
Slackware off the Nov 95 Infomagic CD-ROM.  The bootdisk has kernel 1.3.20,
but it installs 1.2.13.  My ViaTech Dual-port EIDE (built-in to MB)  was
supported by 1.3.20, but not 1.2.13.  I was able to boot from floppy, mount
my root partition, install and compile 1.3.20 and that solved the problem.
I now have the CD-ROM on /dev/hda and HDD on /dev/hdb, and this works
without a problem. (I have the CD-ROM on IDE #1 and HDD on IDE #2 because I
boot from a SCSI DOS drive [go ahead--shoot me for using that config, but I
have about 800M of junk on the DOS SCSI and have no place to put it to
convert the SCSI to Linux!].  If I put the HDD on IDE#1, it tries to boot
from that every time.)

To sum it all up-- It is most likely that your IDE controller is not
supported by the kernel you are using.  If you have a PCI bus, look and see
if it says "Unknown PCI hardware.  Mail ??????? with your /proc/pci"  If you
see that, you IDE controller may be a likely culprit.  If you can get hold
of another IDE controller you KNOW is supported, give that a try.  If that
works, you can at least nail down what the problem is.  I'm not sure what
the newest kernel is, but you might give that a try too.

Good luck! Wish I could be more helpful.
Joe DeVille, KC4IWE            Primary address:  jwdstu at westga.edu
West Georgia College         Secondary address:  bm160 at freenet.carleton.ca
Carrollton, GA USA      Memberships/Affiliations: American Radio Relay League
"Give me UNIX or           Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Red Cross
  give me death"	    Disaster Services, Atlanta Olympic Band,
				A.C.O.G. Atlanta '96 Volunteer
            Amateur Packet Radio:  KC4IWE @ KA4YQI.#WGA.GA.USA.NA
------------ HOME PAGE: http://www.westga.edu/~jwdstu/index.html -------------