[ale] Kernal Panic

Chris Ricker chris at Woodruffn239.residence.GaTech.edu
Thu Apr 4 13:38:29 EST 1996

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Jeff Haynie wrote:

> I took a look at make config again and noticed I forget to say yes on
> ext2 support and when I recompiled and rebooted, everything was fine.

That'll do it! ;-)

> However, we had the network alias support patch on the last kernel
> (1.2.3) and aliasing was working fine, now the new kernel (1.3.68 - I
> know it's development) doesn't seem to support the ifconfig eth0 alias
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx command, however the kernel is suppose to support IP
> aliasing ...
>
> Anybody using a 1.3.X kernel with IP aliasing successfully?

I don't remember for sure, but I seem to recall discussion on the kernel
list about that being broken for a while.  Try with 1.3.84 and see if it
works now.  If not, you probably have to upgrade network tools--various
stuff like procps and such has been breaking with fixes in the development
kernels.  Perhaps net tools was another one?  I don't use aliasing myself,
so I can't say for sure.

good luck,
chris