[ale] ftp install of linux

John M. Trostel john.trostel at gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 2 09:33:08 EST 1996

At 07:50 AM 4/2/96 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Unix Guru Dude wrote:
>
><CHOMP>
>

>> This 'ftp install,' is it only certain distributions that support it?
>
>I dunno which distributions, other than redhat, support it.  I'd imagine
>debian or slackware do, but don't know for sure.  If not, they support
>nfs installing, which you might be able to do as well.
>
>> I mean you would have to have all the TCPIP stuff already installed right?
>
>Nope!  That's why it was so cool.  I started with a completely bare hard
>drive (like I said, my old one died, sniff sniff ;-).  I booted the
>computer with the redhat boot disk and two root disks, and they provided
>enough tcpip to do the install.  It does require a real internet
>connection though (ppp/slip don't work).

I recently did this too for similar reasons.  The FTP install did go well
but took a _wee_ bit longer for me.  Our subnet lies on the far side of a
56K line. Installation at this slower transfer rate ended up taking more
than an hour or two.

Still,  I set the install up, went home, and returned to a pretty fine setup.
John M. Trostel                            john.trostel at gtri.gatech.edu
GTRI / Undersea Research Project Office            phone:(404) 657-0437
Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA, USA                      fax:  (404) 657-0457