[ale] ftp install of linux

Chris Ricker chris at Woodruffn239.residence.GaTech.edu
Tue Apr 2 07:50:01 EST 1996

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Unix Guru Dude wrote:

<CHOMP>

> This 'ftp install,' is it only certain distributions that support it?

I dunno which distributions, other than redhat, support it.  I'd imagine
debian or slackware do, but don't know for sure.  If not, they support
nfs installing, which you might be able to do as well.

> I mean you would have to have all the TCPIP stuff already installed right?

Nope!  That's why it was so cool.  I started with a completely bare hard
drive (like I said, my old one died, sniff sniff ;-).  I booted the
computer with the redhat boot disk and two root disks, and they provided
enough tcpip to do the install.  It does require a real internet
connection though (ppp/slip don't work).

later,
chris