[ale] ftp install of linux

Chris Ricker chris at Woodruffn239.residence.GaTech.edu
Mon Apr 1 23:57:36 EST 1996

I dunno if Greg Hankins is going to appreciate me telling this ;-).

I had my hard drive quit on me the other day.  I figured that since I had
to reinstall everything anyway (I don't have a tape backup drive), I might
as well try the new RedHat 3.0.3 out.  All I had to do to install it was
make a boot and two root floppies, reboot with them, and point it at
ftp.cc.gatech.edu to do an ftp install.  It was very fast--I installed
about 300 megs worth of packages in a little under an hour.  If you're
wanting to upgrade linux, but don't want to buy another cd (or can't get a
copy of the latest ones yet), I highly recommend you try the ftp install.
I was very impressed with how smoothly and quickly the install was.

later,
chris