InfoMagic slackware CDROM installation

Gareth R. Williams scouse at america.net
Fri Jan 6 16:30:29 EST 1995

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Stephen R. Wylie wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Jim Dai wrote:
>
> > Ya! That was the messsage I got. I will try your approach. Thanks
> >
> Jim-
>
> if your drive is hooked into a "scsi" card [immitation scsi] then there
> is no hope. I am using the pro audio spectrum 16 card just fine as a
> sound card, but i cannot access my sony cd... the reason for this is that
> these type of cards immitate the scsi specification by polling the device
> on the timer interrupt instead of giving the scsi part of the card an
> interrupt of it's own. any scsi card with "no jumpers" does this. that's
> most of, if not all of the sound card + cd that are out there. i am
> buying a genuine adaptec scsi card and a genuine scsi cd player to use
> with linux. i will let you in on my method for getting linux installed.
> i installed it with no cd capabilities in linux, but my cd player works
> in ms-dog. it might help you out...

	Hmmm... I don't beleive that you need to invest in these items,
unless of course you wanted them for some other reason. I managed to do
my complete install from the december release using the CD only ( I used
your "HD as the intermediary" approach on the may version of another release
, good thinking!!) , but like I say...It worked for me. One one machine I
installed w/ the summer Ygdrasil, the cdrom installation worked peachy w/
the cdu33a. Also, I saw much buzz some months ago on the linux internet
forums on this particular combo. BTW I am using a PAS16 w/ a sony33a also.
	I saw in one of the newsgroups instructions on how to mount this
combo reliably, and also learned that on kernel versions prior to 1.1.52
this combo was misdetected as SCSI. The december infomagic has kernel
1.1.59, so this should be corrected. Give the brute force quick&dirty
method a shot to get some sort of install, then tweak finely w/ the kernel.
This of course is all IMHO. Mark....Thanx for the kernel tips, much
simpler than what I had been doing, I'll try this.

						Later,
					Gareth(talking work while typing)