AUUG meeting summary

Eric Zundel Ayers zundel at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 9 10:03:33 EST 1994

...[stuff deleted]...
> The only thing that didn't happen that I would have liked to see is a
> Linux Users Group take shape.  Many people expressed interest as I
> said before, but noone seemed willing to take charge and head up
> things.

I think it would be nice to have an open session apart from the
main meeting where people get a chance to ask to ask about configuration
problems, etc.  I feel like a big geek asking and answering questions
in front of all those people in the open meeting, but I like helping
people out, and I know there are people there who have been helping me
with some of my Linux related questions.

I also wish we had a Linux Users group.  I didn't realize until Monday
night how many people we had here in Atlanta who were Linux savvy and
have been making significant contributions to the Linux project
As you all know, Greg wrote the Serial-HOWTO and there were other
people at the meeting like Mark Horton (who has written some mini-howtos,
designed Linux t-shirts and works on the Info Magic Linux CD) and
Michael Warfield (who apparently is writing some drivers for an
intelligent serial adapter), to name a few. (any others I should mention?)

So what will it take to get this off the ground?  AAUG is a model of
anarchist organization, so if we want to make a user's group affiliated
with AAUG, they will probably say, "sure. go ahead!"  No one else is
going to start a user's group for us, so we might as well do it.

What I think we should do is form a group, get a few people together to
write an article about Linux for Computer Currents (if it hasn't been
done already) and get the word out about the group.

-Eric.