ALE organizational Meeting

Greg Hankins gregh at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 1 11:38:43 EST 1994

Eric Zundel Ayers writes:
> > A bad time?  Geez, it's awful!  There's gonna be a mass exodus around the
> > end of finals week, remember?  Not everyone here is from Atlanta or the
> > vicinity.  I'm leaving town on friday of finals week, and don't plan to be
> > back until January.  I know that ALE isn't supposed to be limited to Tech
> > students, but they'll almost certainly comprise a big part of the
> > membership, and a significant number of said students are probably planning
> > to spend the holiday as far from campus as is reasonably possible.

Keep in mind that this is just an organizational meeting.  No actual
Linux stuff will (officially) be discussed.

>I thought that would cause a few problems for some people, but we
>wanted to be able to have a real general meeting for the first part of
>January and no one could meet during Finals, or Dead Week, or
>Thanksgiving, or midterms or the week before midterms... you get the
>picture!   The way I figure, most people can't meet about 20% of the
>time school is in session anyway, so its really tough.
>Some other folks wrote me along the same line.  If there is something
>you are interested in doing that you want to stake out now, send Greg or
>me e-mail and we'll volunteer your services at the meeting.  If there
>is some organizational topic you want to be brought up (or that you
>would rather wait to be decided until the general meeting) let us know
>that too!

We felt it was necessary to set some sort of date for a meeting.  I figured
the date might not work for some amount of people.  Unfortunately,
there is a large Linux users population, and finding a date which works for
everyone would be nearly impossible.  Like Eric, I feel an urge to get
things rolling before we loose the momentum gained from the AUUG meeting.
I hope to shoot for the first ALE meeting mid-January, so all the students
will be back in town again.

As Eric said, if you want to do something specific, make a solid
commitment.  We'll take up for you at the meeting since you can't be there.

Greg

--
Greg Hankins (greg.hankins at cc.gatech.edu)  |  Georgia Institute of Technology
Computing and Networking Services          |  College of Computing